Saturday, March 3, 2012

Geography Bits - Moorea

I was inspired by my friend Rick Clark, @drdeadline and his beautiful post on Posterous about Moorea.
http://drdeadline.posterous.com/moorea-on-my-mind



Some info on Moorea:


Moorea is close to Tahiti is the "Magical Isle" in the Pacific.  In the 2007 census, the population was listed as  16,191.  The island has an area of 51.7 square miles, and was formed from a volcano.  To compare, Washington DC is 69.3 square miles.  

The biggest industry on Moorea is toursim.  Many beautiful resorts are found with excellent services and amenities.

It is such a dream to visit a beautiful South Pacific island!



Moorea was the inspiration for the song "Bali Hai" for the movie "South Pacific" based on James Michener's book.





Resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorea

http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/islands/moorea/moorea.asp

http://drdeadline.posterous.com/moorea-on-my-mind





26 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place! inspiring Thank you Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of many beautiful islands in the area, I'm sure. Oh! But about when there's a storm...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing another travel destination. I made notes on my list :)

    http://socialpositive.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very pretty place. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That island is beautiful and fits the definition of Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a beautiful place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your blog style Sally, short, descriptive, informative. I like the use of embedded youtube clips too. I often wondered what inspired Bali Hai, now I know a little more about Moorea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just waiting on the time and money and if possible a person to come to places such as this. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on my way right now!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful. I am surprised they haven't done a Survivor from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want someone to paint that sky on my ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So honored Sally, thanks! Having been an annual visitor there for almost two decades , I can tell you that I've never met a more welcoming, more interesting, more noteworthy culture on the planet. Polynesians were the first real explorers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful place. Great to have read it in the cold day we have here. Have pinned the first picture in my "places to visit" gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This place is very high on my wife's to-do list. I also would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks Nice But Florida Keys offers Same And is close By . I can drive There

    ReplyDelete
  16. That just looks SO beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to college in Hawaii with many Pacific Islanders. It was a unique experience. All these islands are amazing in their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful Sally, thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete